My Movie (Part I)

"People associate me with a time when movies were pleasant, when women wore pretty dresses in films, and you heard beautiful music,"
                       -Audrey Hepburn

It is a very interesting matter to think about how would my movie be.
Who would be directing? and writing? and how about the styling? and the music?
I´ve always been going around these interrogants, and usually when I see a cool image, commercial, item of clothing or even llama (go llamas!), I love to picture them on my movie and have them in mind, imagining either context or character.

So this is what I have found out:
My movie: The Direction

-The direction/photography: I would like to have a movie that looks like a 50s  Hollywood movie, with a bit of Sofia Coppola´s soft indie sensibility.

First try to picture the classics:
Grace Kelly in "To catch a thief": convertible car, cat-eye glasses, pink scarf, hair sweeping with the wind (although, I found her character´s idea of "seduction" disturbing. Let me tell you: Frances Stevens was A CREEP)


In Old-Hollywood movies people were (scarily) decent , never swore, always wore the very best clothes of their time and you never saw Sweeney Todd-ish bloodspill.

Believe me, there was a CODE to make sure of that.

So, in this times where even on movies for children, you get to see all kinds of violence (don't misunderstand me, I'm a Sweeney Todd-ish bloddspill fan) and sexual inferences (well, not a big fan of this one), it is a fresh breath of air to see something that does not include them.
...And not be talking about Barney (which is very important too)

Or maybe I would take another direction:
I've always loved the way Sofia Coppola makes simpler things attractive: the fluttering of a butterfly, sunshine on your hair...

...all these things can get veeery anoying when it is 99% of pretty things and 1% of other rather important things in a movie,does plot sound familiar?

(i.e.: I like Sofia Coppola and plotless films, or the ones that do have a plot, that is even interesting but it all moves so slowly, that your brain is completely numb by the time when it shows up.)

Back to the point: While Hollywood is all about the BIG and GLITTERING, these kind of movies reveal simpler adventures: the greatness of living.

That's what I love the most about french cinema: they don't use that much reflectors or cameras, they don't even have this taboo that we seem to have about nudeness of the body and, yet they get to portrait feelings better.

NOW pictures of both classical and indie.


Elizabethtown (Highly recomend it! James Cameron movies aren't neither too fast nor too slow.)Also I love Almost Famous.


Ellen Von Unwerth for Erin Fetherston



 
Grace Kelly and Cary Grant in To Catch a Thief

The Virgin  Suicides
Marie Antoinette

 
Lolita




  Moulin Rouge!
And Baz Luhrman is my second favorite director...
I specially love that scene with Toulouse smiling :D

Next Time: The Characters!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...